Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Banned Books Week, Sept 25 - Oct 2

I just read a post on a friend's blog about her commitment to writing. She is also going to read all of Ernest Hemingway's works, which got me thinking, "How many of his works have I read?"

So I started looking for a list of his works, when I was reminded that later this month is Banned Books Week. (Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms and The Sun Also Rises have been challenged or banned, as have some of his other works.) I had seen something at the library advertising this earlier this week, and thought, "I should read some of the books on the list they have." Instead of allowing this to be a passing thought, I have made a list of banned/challenged classics I would like to read.

Banning books is a slippery slope. It seems to me that most people try to have books banned in order to protect children. Instead of attempting to ban books, have an open and honest discussion with your children about why you think a book is inappropriate for them to read. It is the job of the parents to teach them. Dictating what a child can and can't do doesn't work anyway.

To learn more about banned/challenged books go HERE. If you want to read one of the most frequently challenged books of 2009, most of you will be able to find it on your very own bookshelf. The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer was #5 on the list.

If you don't like to read, get an audio book. I love audio books and frequently listen to them in the car or on my iPod.

I am going to try to read classics that I haven't read before. I am going to start with Ulysses by James Joyce. What are you going to read? Leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea there was any such thing as "Banned Book Week"

    Crazy.

    ReplyDelete